This is a one-semester Level 1 Cantonese course for non-Chinese-speaking faculty. With a focus on speaking and listening skills, the course aims at building participants’ proficiency and confidence in using Cantonese for daily communication as well as a fast integration into the local culture. Through a communicative and functional approach, and the use of interactive activities and online learning, the course will help participants to acquire vocabulary and basic structures for use in real-life situations.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Participants will develop the ability to use Cantonese to communicate appropriately and effectively. Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- converse in Cantonese in everyday situations;
- use a range of Cantonese vocabulary appropriately;
- learn about elements of Hong Kong culture;
- acquire knowledge of the Cantonese phonological and tonal systems.
- Greeting and getting to know each other
- Talking about self and work
- Making appointments
- Going places
- Talking about likes, dislikes, interests and hobbies
- Ordering food and drinks
- Asking for prices and bargaining
- Introduction to common Cantonese slang
- Basic knowledge of Cantonese sounds and tones
- Face-to-face in class teaching and learning
- Online tutorials for independent study
- One-on-one pronunciation/speaking advising
Course materials will be provided by the Center for Language Education.