This one-semester Level 2 Cantonese course is designed for Non-Chinese-speaking participants who wish to continue learning Cantonese after completing the beginners’ course or with equivalent competence in Cantonese. The course aims at enhancing participants’ proficiency and confidence in using Cantonese for everyday communication. Through in-class learning and online practice, participants will acquire vocabulary and colloquial expressions relevant to their needs and consolidate their mastery of Cantonese phonology and grammar.
Intended Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- consolidate their comprehension of Cantonese phonology and grammar;
- use a range of Cantonese vocabulary appropriately;
- converse in Cantonese more effectively in various settings;
- learn about elements of Hong Kong culture.
- Talking about time and routine
- Making telephone calls
- Making appointments
- Dining out
- Talking about family and friends
- Interacting with students and colleagues
- Introduction to common Cantonese slang
- Review on sentence structure, Cantonese sounds and tones
- Face-to-face in class teaching and learning
- Online tutorials for independent study
- One-on-one pronunciation/speaking advising
Course materials will be provided by the Center for Language Education.