Japanese I targets elementary-level learners. The aim is to introduce learners with no previous knowledge of Japanese to the Japanese language and Japanese culture through practical use of the language, with a particular emphasis on oral communication.
Japanese II and III target elementary-level non-beginner learners. As with Japanese I, emphasis will be on oral communication but writing will be introduced through a range of exercises.
Japanese IV and V targets elementary-level learners who are on a clear path progressing to intermediate-level, and concentrates on the application and proper usage of what they have learnt from their previous three courses. It also prepares them to attempt a public examination such as the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (日本語能力試験).
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the semester, students should be able to:
- gain an introductory insight into Japanese language and culture;
- develop a sense of confidence when dealing with Japanese -speaking people and Japanese -language materials in their daily lives;
- understand, make, and respond appropriately to, everyday conversational enquiries;
- acquire sufficiently accurate pronunciation and intonation of Japanese to be understood by native speakers of the language;
- understand and produce short texts relating to people’s lives and interests.
Courses are usually held in the Fall and Spring semesters, and Winter and Summer sessions. Enrolment details are announced on this site as well as on the ENB and via email. Details can be found here.
Learners’ progress is assessed through continuous assessment and a final oral test.
Japanese I & II: Minna no nihongo beginner I, 1st Edition. 3A Corporation (Taiwan version). Available at the University Bookshop.
Japanese III & IV: Minna no nihongo beginner 2, 1st Edition. 3A Corporation (Taiwan version). Available at the University Bookshop.
- Japanese I Course Material
- Japanese II Course Material
- Reading web sites / Wordprocessing in Japanese
- Learning Japanese on-line
- Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- Dictionaries and translators
- General information on Japan
- Fun stuff
- Other useful links