Korean I targets elementary-level learners. The aim is to introduce learners with no previous knowledge of Korean to the Korean language and Korean culture through practical use of the language, with a particular emphasis on oral communication.
Korean II targets elementary-level non-beginner learners. As with Korean I, emphasis will be on oral communication but writing will be introduced through a range of exercises.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the semester, students should be able to:
- gain an introductory insight into Korean language and culture;
- develop a sense of confidence when dealing with Korean-speaking people and Korean-language materials in their daily lives;
- understand, make, and respond appropriately to, everyday conversational enquiries;
- acquire sufficiently accurate pronunciation and intonation of Korean to be understood by native speakers of the language;
- understand and produce short texts relating to people’s lives and interests.
Learners’ progress is assessed through continuous assessment and a final written and oral examination.
Korean I & II: Active Korean I. Seoul National University: Language Education Institute. 2010. Available at the University Bookshop.