This course will enable learners with no previous knowledge of German to understand the basic notions of German language and culture and their impact on the world of Science and Technology. There will also be practical use of the language, with a particular emphasis on oral communication.
By the end of the semester, students should be able to:
- gain an introductory insight into German language and German culture;
- develop an understanding of what inventions originated in Germany and what they have led to;
- participate in simple, everyday conversation with a native speaker;
- acquire sufficiently accurate pronunciation and intonation of German to be understood by native speakers of the language;
- understand and produce short texts relating to people’s lives and interests;
- present biographies of other people, including some scientists and their inventions.