LANG 3070 is a three-credit course offered in the Fall Term to students of the Global China Studies Program. This course is the second of two required English courses of the Program. It builds on the skills students would have acquired on LANG 2070, and prepares them for the challenges of writing long academic essays and making presentations at academic conferences.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course, students should be able to
- recognise different stylistic features of texts;
- identify subjective and objective language in a range of written texts;
- recognise the expression of register and tone through vocabulary and grammatical structure
- make judicious selections of vocabulary in writing, based on a number of criteria such as intended readership, purpose;
- recognize and apply a range of hedging devices;
- make an effective presentation in an academic context.
Students need to buy the coursebook “English Communication for Global China Studies II” from the university bookstore.