Welcome to the Postgraduate English for Engineering Research Studies site. LANG 5001 is offered to all research degree postgraduates in the School of Engineering in the spring and fall semesters.
The course aims to help students communicate their research effectively. It highlights the characteristics of academic discourse, and provides training in the production of research documents, including abstracts, journal papers and theses. The course also gives extensive practice in the presentation and seminar skills necessary for academic study. Students who fail to fulfill the spoken English language requirement of the University are advised to take LANG 5000 before enrolling for this course (for students admitted in 2009/10 and onwards). Graded P or F.
Intended Learning Outcomes
On successful completion of the course, students will be able to:
- Apply appropriate methods such as summarizing and paraphrasing to avoid plagiarism in their research writing.
- Identify the organization, conventions and functions of different sections of a research paper or thesis.
- Structure a research paper or thesis appropriately in line with the accepted norms of the field.
- Produce a critical review of the literature for their research.
- Explain their research effectively in an oral presentation to a mixed audience.
- Lead, and actively participate in, academic seminars and contribute to the discussion as well as participate in self-assessment, leading to autonomous learning.
You can sign up for language advising services and or other English learning activities here: http://ilang.cle.ust.hk/