This course is intended to provide RPG students of SBM and SOSC with essential training in academic writing, speaking and critical reading relevant to the study of a research postgraduate degree. The course is compulsory for all RPG students of SBM and SOSC. Students who fail to fulfill the Spoken English language requirement of the University are advised to take LANG 5000 before enrolling for this course (for students admitted in 2009/10 and onwards). Graded P or F. Co-requisite(s): LANG 5000
LANG 5002: Postgraduate English for Business and Social Science Studies is designed for research postgraduate students from School of Business & Management and Division of Social Science. It provides essential training in academic writing, speaking and critical reading relevant to the study of a research postgraduate degree. It deals with major topics in the areas of writing research-type documents, delivering formal presentations, and conducting, and participating in, academic group discussions. LANG 5002 will focus on the writing of texts such as abstracts, summaries and short journal articles.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course, students are expected to be able to:
- Read and discuss research papers in their subject area with a suitable level of understanding and criticality.
- Construct arguments, both orally and in writing, using appropriate academic English.
- Write summaries and critiques of published work appropriate to a formal literature review.
- Lead and participate actively in seminar discussions on topics related to their own subject of study.
- Talk convincingly about their own research area using appropriate academic and technical language.
Link to your course website.
Canvas link to be informed.