LANG 5002 (Postgraduate English for Business and Social Science Studies) is designed for research postgraduate students from the School of Business & Management and Division of Social Science.
The course provides the necessary training in three areas relevant to the study of a research postgraduate degree:
- academic research writing (abstracts, summaries, critiques and short journal articles).
- academic speaking (giving presentations, and leading and participating in discussions).
- critical reading.
Course Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the course, students will be able to:
- Read and discuss research papers in their subject area critically.
- Construct arguments orally and in writing using appropriate academic English.
- Write summaries and critiques of published work appropriate to a formal literature review.
- Lead and participate actively in seminar discussions on topics related to their own subject of study.
- Talk convincingly about their own research area using appropriate academic and technical language.