This course aims to help MSc students in Engineering to develop language and communication skills needed for successful job applications. Through a series of interactive activities, students will enhance their ability to perform credibly during the various stages of a job-seeking process, including the preparation of application letters and resumes and participation in job interviews.
Objectives and Content
- to prepare students for a job application
- to develop language and writing skills to compose a winning application letter and a résumé
- to develop language and communication skills to perform impressively at a job interview
- to familiarize students with the language skills required for some commonly used assessment tools in a job interview
In this course, students will learn about the use of English for job seeking. Students will be taken through the steps of a job application process and acquire the skills of writing an application letter and a résumé, and in presenting themselves in a favourable light at job interviews. The course also equips students with the ability to communicate effectively when taking various assessment tools in a job interview.
Intended learning outcomes
After completing the course, students will be able to
- assess job advertisements and determine the match between their qualifications and skill set and specific job requirements
- write an effective job application letter and résumé for a specific position
- articulate their ideas clearly and perform credibly in a job interview
- act appropriately and express themselves clearly at various activities in a job-seeking process