The course is intended to provide students with essential training in academic writing, with a focus on the language used in the context of Chinese culture. This is a compulsory foundation course for all students in the MA program in Chinese Culture.
Intended Learning Objectives
By the end of this course, students will be able to learn:
- the common genres of academic writing, including abstract, literature review, argument essay and research article;
- the common referencing format & referencing skills, including quoting, paraphrasing & summarizing;
- how academic texts are structured and how various devices are used for improving the coherence and cohesion of academic writing;
- how language and rhetorical strategies strengthen and weaken arguments and common fallacies in academic writing;
- the importance of identifying purposes and audience before writing, which affects the writing style and tone;
- specific language and vocabulary which will facilitate academic writing; and
- the linguistics features of an effective oral presentation of an academic paper critique.
Details to be confirmed.