This is a one-semester course designed for students in the MSc in International Management program with no previous knowledge of Chinese.
The course aims to offer them a foundation in language so that they can communicate effectively and appropriately. The learning activities are mainly focused on developing students’ listening and speaking skills to build up their confidence in using Putonghua for daily communication. Some reading of high frequency Chinese characters is integrated into the learning activities.
Intended Learning Outcomes
After completing the course, students will be able to:
- acquire a basic knowledge of Putonghua phonology
- identify the tones, initials and finals of Hanyu Pinyin
- use Hanyu Pinyin to master Putonghua pronunciation
- recognize 100-150 most frequently used Chinese characters
- understand a range of words and expressions commonly used in daily communication.
- understand simple Chinese sentences
- point out common grammatical mistakes and make corrections
- understand written texts about everyday conversations
- understand simple everyday conversations
- conduct conversations in Putonghua for social purposes including :
- greeting and getting to know each other
- introducing oneself and others
- asking for and giving personal information
- use numbers in various contexts to achieve different purposes including :
- asking for phone numbers and making phone calls
- telling the time and date
- talking about schedules and timetables
- asking for prices and bargaining
- talk about likes, dislikes, interests and hobbies
- make appointments
- order food and drinks when eating out
- introduce your country to people who plan to travel to your country
- describe your travel experience to others.
- can translate simple Chinese sentences into English sentences and vice versa