This is a one-semester elementary Cantonese course for Putonghua speakers. It will equip you with the Cantonese proficiency and the communication competence necessary for studying and living in Hong Kong. You will learn to extract key information from listening to Cantonese, and to communicate effectively in a variety of contexts. You will also be introduced to the phonological features of Cantonese. The thematic content of the course is designed to help you explore the multiple facets of the Hong Kong culture.
Intended Learning Outcomes
In this course you will develop your ability to understand and speak Cantonese to communicate appropriately and effectively. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be able to:
Lee Hoi Ming
Practical Cantonese I. Center for Language Education, The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2014. Available at the University Bookshop.
- Cantonese Quick Reference
- Cantonese Forums
- HK Tourism Board
- HK Brand Development Council
– Mr Yeung Koon Yat, Brand Consultant of “Ah Yat”
– Mr Wong Wing Chee, Brand Founder of “Dragon King Restaurant”
– Mr Hui Chung Sum, Brand Founder of “Zihua Embrocation”
- HK Government Advertisements
– Mr Jackie Chan
– Mr Andy Lau