This is a Putonghua course designed for students of non-Chinese language background.
- to introduce Chinese language and culture to students through practice with particular emphasis on oral communication;
- to help them develop confidence and competence in listening and speaking for daily Putonghua communication; and
- to facilitate their vocabulary acquisition through learning activities incorporated with high frequency Chinese characters.
The following contents are covered:
- Greeting and getting to know each other
- Introducing oneself and others
- Asking for and giving personal information
- Asking for phone numbers and making phone calls
- Telling the time and date
- Talking about schedules and timetables
- Asking for prices and bargaining
- Talking about likes, dislikes, interests and hobbies
- Making appointments
- Ordering food and drinks when eating out
Students are expected to attend 80% of all classes, and on meeting the attendance requirement, each participant will be awarded an Attendance Certificate.
The course uses materials developed by the Center for Language Education, the online part of which are shown below: