Spanish I targets elementary-level learners. The aim is to introduce learners with no previous knowledge of Spanish, to the Spanish language and culture through practical use of the language, with a particular emphasis on oral communication.
Spanish II and Spanish III target elementary-level non-beginner learners. As with Spanish I, emphasis will be on oral communication but writing will be introduced through a range of exercises.
Intended Learning Outcomes
By the end of the semester, students should be able to:
- gain an introductory insight into Spanish language and Spanish culture;
- develop basic intuitions about Spanish morphology and syntax and learn basic grammar patterns;
- understand and produce simple messages in Spanish;
- interact in a social situation with awareness of the pragmatic rules involved;
- acquire a sufficiently accurate pronunciation and intonation of Spanish to be understood by native speakers of the language;
- understand and produce short texts about themselves, their family and the world around them;
- understand and appreciate aspects of the cultures of Spain and Latin America.
Learners’ progress is assessed through continuous assessment and a final written and oral examination.
Aa.Vv. (2010). Nos Vemos A1. Barcelona: Difusión. Available at the University bookshop.