English Language Proficiency Assessment

Sub-Degree Holders




Who is required to take it?

All newly admitted undergraduates must take ELPA unless they have already been granted credit transfer for LANG1002. If you think that you might be eligible for credit transfer but have not yet been granted it yet, you should still register and take the test.


When will it be held?

A limited amount of summer testing will be offered from 19th to 20st July 2018 for local students with international qualifications or direct entry.

The speaking tests will be held from 19th to 20th July 2018.

The written tests will be held on 19th to 20th July 2018.

Students who are unable to take the test in July may join the main test round for Undergraduates arriving in August.

Online registration for this summer round of ELPA tests will start on 4th July 2018. The cut-off time for booking a test time slot will be midnight on the day prior to the desired test date. Students will be given the opportunity to book test time slots from those that are available.


What are the advantages of taking ELPA during the summer testing session?

Doing the ELPA test in the summer may help you take advantage of potential credit transfers and course streaming, based on your test results.


How do I book a time slot?

Online registration for the ELPA test will start on 4th July 2018. The cut-off time for booking a test time slot will be midnight on the night before the desired test date.

You will be able to select a speaking test time and a written test time from those that are available through the online registration system.

For the speaking test, please report to the test venue at least 10 minutes before your test time. At the test venue, students will be processed and assigned assessors. The entire administration and test process is expected to last around 30 minutes.

For the written test, please report to the test venue at least 20 minutes before the start of the test so that their attendance can be recorded and they can be briefed. The test duration is two hours and 30 minutes.


How can I check whether my test booking was successful or check my test details?

Please check that your booking was successful and confirmed. You can either check your ITSC email account (http://o365.ust.hk/) for the confirmation email that would be sent to you, which will include your test details, or log back into the online registration website to check your booking status, which will show your current test time and venue.


Can I change the time for my test?

If you become aware of an activity that clashes with the time you booked for your tests, you can go back into the online registration system to change your bookings. Please note that your choice of test times may become limited as test times get fully booked.


Can I apply for a make-up test if I am unwell on the day of the test?

There will be no make-up tests for the summer testing sessions. Any new undergraduates with sub-degree qualifications who miss either or both the speaking and written test will have to wait for announcements regarding any further arrangements.


What should I bring to the tests?

For both the written and speaking tests, you must bring your student ID card.

For the written test, you must bring a pen and a pencil and an eraser.

Please note that the use of electronic devices, such as mobile phones and smart watches, are strictly prohibited. If you take such devices with you to the exam, you must switch them off and leave them in your bag while your examination is in progress.


What happens if the HK Observatory raises a bad weather warning?

Please check the official university guidelines. In the event of tests being cancelled due to bad weather, you should wait for further announcements regarding any rearrangements.


How will I get my results?

You will get your ELPA results through the online feedback system. Please note that accounts are not created on the system until you have results to show. This means you will not be able to access the system until your results are available.


If I am a student with Special Educational Needs (SEN) and have received examination accommodations in previous public examination(s), am I eligible for any similar accommodations for ELPA?

Students are required to declare their SEN to the Student Affairs Office who will work with the students on available support services, including academic accommodation(s) throughout their study at HKUST. Students with SEN are strongly advised to specify their needs when they register for ELPA online and schedule an appointment with the Student Affairs Office by emailing sen@ust.hk. The data collected will be handled with strict confidentiality and in compliance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance of Hong Kong.


What if I have more questions?

Contact lcelpa@ust.hk if you have any unanswered questions.


Copyright © Center for Language Education.
The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology