Undergraduate Students


All newly admitted UG students must take the English Language Proficiency Assessment (ELPA) unless they have already received credit transfer for the Common Core English Communication Courses (i.e. LANG1002 and LANG1003).

LANG1002 is a compulsory English course for HKUST students. The course is designed to raise your language proficiency and equip you with the underlying competence necessary for you to succeed in English-medium university study.

Taking ELPA before the Fall semester will enable your LANG1002 instructor to give you feedback and advice on how to improve before you take ELPA again in May, when it makes up 40% of the course grade.

If you think you should be considered for credit transfer, or have any other queries about English courses, you can email (lcstdadvice@ust.hk) the CLE English Course Advice Team.

Students who are unsure about their credit transfer status are strongly recommended to take ELPA while they await confirmation.

ELPA speaking tests for LANG1002 students will be held from 20 to 23 August 2019. Students should report to the speaking test venue at least 10 minutes before the start time of their test. At the test venue, students will be briefed and assigned test rooms. The entire administration and test process is expected to last around 30 minutes.

ELPA written tests for LANG1002 students will be held on 19 to 22 August 2019. Students should report to the written test venue at least 20 minutes before the start time of their test so that their attendance can be recorded and they can be briefed. The test duration is 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Students will be able to book their tests through the online registration system starting from the afternoon of 7 August 2019. The cut-off time for booking a test time slot will be midnight on the working day prior to the desired test date. Students are advised to book their speaking test early in order secure their preferred test time slot.

Please check that your booking was successful and confirmed. You can either check your ITSC email account (http://o365.ust.hk/) for the confirmation email that will be sent to you with your test details or log back into the online registration website to check your “booking status”, which will show your test booking time and venue.

If you become aware of something that clashes with the time you have booked for your tests, you can go back into the online registration system to change your bookings. Please note that your choice of test times may become limited as test times get fully booked.

If you are unable to attend your test due to circumstances beyond your control, including medical emergencies, you must contact the ELPA team (lcelpa@ust.hk) within one week from your test date.

If you are absent due to medical reasons, you must obtain a “Certificate of Sickness” issued by a registered medical practitioner that states the diagnosed condition/illness and recommends a period of sick leave that covers the test date.

For both the written and speaking tests, you must bring your student ID card.

For the written test, you must also bring a pen and a pencil and an eraser.

Please note that the use of electronic devices, such as mobile phones and smart watches, are strictly prohibited. If you take such devices with you to the exam, you must switch them off and leave them in your bag while your examination is in progress.

In case of adverse weather on the day of your test, your test may be rescheduled. You must check this webpage and your HKUST email for the most up-to-date information regarding rescheduled test arrangements. You may refer to the official university guidelines for general guidance.

You will get your ELPA results through the online feedback system. Please note that accounts are not created on the system until you have results to show. This means you will not be able to access the system until your results are available.

Students are required to declare their SEN to the Dean of Students’ Office who will work with the students on available support services, including academic accommodation(s) throughout their study at HKUST. Students with SEN are strongly advised to specify their needs when they register for ELPA online and schedule an appointment with the Dean of Students’ Office by emailing sen@ust.hk. The data collected will be handled with strict confidentiality and in compliance with the Personal Data (Privacy) Ordinance of Hong Kong.

Contact lcelpa@ust.hk if you have any unanswered questions.